Date posted: July 10, 2012
The Boston Athenæum
Rare Materials Catalog Librarian
The Boston Athenæum is seeking a full-time (35 hours per week) Rare Materials Catalog Librarian
who reports to the Head of Technical Services, and performs original cataloging of materials for
inclusion in the Athenæum’s special collections. This candidate must be attentive to detail and
extremely organized and possess effective oral and written communication skills and have an
ability to work cooperatively.
• Perform original and copy cataloging for rare books and materials in all formats, and
for circulating materials as needed using OCLC and the Voyager ILS
• Devote approximately 20-25% of time organizing, cataloging, and creating finding aids
for manuscript collections, working closely with Curator of Rare Books and Manuscripts
• Track and/or solve problems resulting from retrospective conversion
• Assist with the planning and implementation of departmental workflow and projects
• Assist Chief Rare Materials Catalog Librarian with the supervision of interns
• Monitor researchers in the special collections reading room in weekly rotation
• Work some evenings and Saturdays in scheduled rotation among departmental staff
• Must be able to lift 40 pounds
• Perform other duties as assigned by and under the supervision of the Head of Technical
• MLS from an ALA-accredited school.
• Experience with integrated library systems, preferably Voyager
• Familiarity with AACR2, DCRB, DACS, MARC and OCLC formats, and emerging trends in
cataloging, including RDA and FRBR
• Formal training in rare books cataloging
• Experience with manuscript processing and cataloging
• Strong knowledge of American, New England and Western European history and literature
• Familiarity with library special collections
• Languages, including Italian, Spanish, French, and Latin, desirable
Salary is $40,000 per year with full benefits. Position is available immediately.
For further information see http://www.bostonathenaeum.org/node/39. E-mail résumé and cover
letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Boston Athenaeum is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals of diverse
backgrounds to apply and are committed to hiring individuals who value a diverse and inclusive
Request an update or remove a posting.