skip to main content



Pre–Fall 2013 Requirements

If you began the M.L.S. / M.A. in Russian and East European Studies before fall 2013, you have different requirements.
See the requirements »

M.L.S. / M.A. in Russian & East European Studies

The dual Master of Library Science / Master of Arts in Russian and East European Studies prepares you to work in an academic library or to pursue any other career that blends navigating information with area expertise in Russia and/or Eastern Europe.

You’ll also earn two degrees in fewer credit hours—and less time—than it would take to earn them separately.

IU’s Russian and East European Institute offers the M.A.

How to Apply

You must apply for admission to—and meet the admission requirements for—both programs. See our program’s information for domestic students and international students.

Requirements (Minimum of 54 Credit Hours)

M.L.S. Foundation Requirements (18 cr.)

MLS digital literacy requirement.

Complete one course from each of the foundation areas below.

Approach professional issues with understanding (3 cr.)
Assist and educate users, and develop and manage collections of information resources (3 cr.)
Represent and organize information resources (3 cr.)
Manage and lead libraries and other information organizations (3 cr.)
Use research effectively (3 cr.)
Deploy information technologies in effective and innovative ways (3 cr.): Courses in this list that are also M.I.S. requirements can count for both requirements.

M.L.S. Electives (12 cr.)

Choose from information and library science courses. The Russian and East European Institute counts Z605 and Z629 toward the M.A., allowing an additional 6 credits of ILS courses in your program.

M.A. Requirements (24 cr.)

The Russian and East European Institute provides information about the M.A. requirements.


You will graduate after you finish both degrees—the degrees must be awarded simultaneously.

Tuition Rates

Different Indiana University schools charge different graduate tuition rates. For dual degrees, you will be coded in one of the two schools and pay that school’s tuition rate. To switch to the other school’s tuition rate, contact that department’s recorder as you near the halfway point in your program.

IU Resources and Professional Development