ILS Distinguished Alumni Award
Once known as the Louise Maxwell Award, the Distinguished Alumni Award is to recognize an alumnus/a who is making, or has made, an outstanding contribution to the Library Science/Information Science profession.
For the purpose of judging nominations, an outstanding contribution should include evidence of one or more of the following:
- Exceptional skills as information professional
- Noteworthy contributions in Library/Information Science to society at large
- Significant influence on the candidate’s place of employment, community, and profession
Only living alumni of the Indiana University ILS programs are eligible. For purposes of definition, an alumnus is any person who shall have received at least one degree (M.L.S., M.I.S., Ph.D., or Post-Master’s Specialist Degree) from the Indiana University Department of Information and Library Science or its predecessor.
The nominee does not have to be a member of the ILS Alumni Association.
The award shall consist of a certificate presented to the recipient, and will be presented annually at the IU alumni reception during the American Library Association Conference (usually late June).
All nominations will be kept in the pool for the next two award cycles, after which time they may be resubmitted.
If, in the opinion of either the Selection Committee or the Luddy AA Executive Board, no worthy candidate is nominated in a given year, the award will not be presented that year.
Nominations may be submitted by:
- Graduates of any program accredited by the American Library Association
- Any current or former member of the ILS faculty
- Anyone employed at the nominee's current place of employment
All nominations must include the following:
- A nomination statement from the person placing the name in nomination, which details the nominee's qualifications as a Distinguished Alumnis
- A biographical statement (or resume), providing basic information such as: name, address, employment history, and all ILS degrees and dates
- The names and address of three (3) individuals who have agreed to submit letters of support (to be received by the deadline date) in favor of the nomination
- Individuals do not need to meet the qualifications of the person placing the name in nomination
- Letters of support may be written by any individual familiar with the work of the nominee
All paperwork must be postmarked, or electronically transmitted, by April 1.
Where to send nominationsRee Palmer
Associate Director of Alumni Relations & Stewardship
Myles Brand Hall, E110A 901 E. 10th St.
Bloomington, IN 47408
Nominations may also be submitted by email: email@example.com.
If you have questions, please call Ree at 812-856-5909.